Today’s workout is the greatest workout ever created.
Why? Because it’s based on the best on the greatest video game code ever created.
In fact, you can probably guess it right now:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A start.
That’s right, the code for extra lives in Konami’s NES classic, Contra. Since its release, this code has become famous among nerds. I remember a few years ago when a nerd hacked ESPN.com, allowing you to input the Konami code to see a screen full of unicorns and rainbows. There’s even a website (in which you must enter the Konami code to access the site) that chronicles all of the easter eggs hidden through Internet Land.
It was only a matter of time until I figured out how to pay homage to one of my favorite games growing up here at Nerd Fitness.
That time is now.
Let’s learn how to perform the greatest workout ever created.
Konami Code Workout
- UP UP - Pull Up (or body weight row or dumbbell row) for two repetitions.
- DOWN DOWN – Push Up (any variation) for two repetitions.
- LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT – Lunges (with each leg) for two repetitions.
- B – Burpee for one repetition (you can jump at the beginning or the end: your preference!)
- A – Air squat for one repetition.
Depending on your particular situation, you can try a few variations of this workout:
- Set a time for 5 or 10 minutes, and see how many complete circuits you can complete in that time. Record your number and come back a week later under the same conditions to beat your own record.
- Set a goal number of circuits. Try 5, 10 or 20 complete circuits and see how long it takes you to complete the workout. Record your time, and attempt again a week from now to see if you can complete it faster!
- Do a circuit or two during commercial or game breaks. Watching a TV show? Playing a video game? See if you can complete a circuit or two during a commercial break or between levels. Certainly better than nothing.
Some tips and tricks
This is NOT an everyday workout. Your muscles need to recover, so at MOST you should do this every other day, but I see this more of a “once a week” test or “once a month” benchmark to see how things are going.
Practice proper form. Racing through this as quickly as possible while doing half-squats, sloppy burpees, swinging pull ups, and improper push ups will put you on the fast track to injury. PLEASE put an emphasis on your form, take care of yourself, and you’ll have fun. Cut corners to go faster and you’ll put yourself at serious risk for injury. Work on great form, and then work on completing the workout faster.
Have some fun! I’m not gonna lie, my favorite workouts are always nerd-themed, simple, easy to follow, and don’t require a lot of equipment. I’d love for you to go through this workout and leave a comment with your results:
- 10 minutes - How many circuits can you complete in 10 minutes practicing GOOD FORM!
- 10 circuits - How quickly can you complete 10 full Konami Code Workout circuits while practicing GOOD FORM!
Now go get it done. Good luck.
PS – Our “I ate too much at Thanksgiving” sale finishes up tonight at 11:59PM EST! Simply use the code “BOBOMB” after adding Rebel Fitness Guide, Rebel Running Guide, and/or Rebel Strength Guide to your shopping cart and get 20% OFF! We’ve also added brand new superhero Nerd Fitness shirts (Men’s and Women’s) to our Battle Gear store – jump on it!