I am currently: Level 13 (60% towards Level 14)
Most Recent Mission: Play Golf at St. Andrews in Scotland
Welcome to my Epic Quest of Awesome!
I’m traveling all over the world, going on crazy adventures, and helping other people level up THEIR lives along the way. Curious about where I’ve been? This video will help:
Every time I cross something off of my bucket list, I gain 20% experience towards my next “level.” Thanks to some lucrative credit card deals and frequent flyer offers (all learned from Chris Guillebeau’s Frequent Flyer Master), I have over a million airline miles (not an exaggeration) and I’m using them to see the world. I’ll be meeting up with Nerd Fitness readers and using any travel-hacking skills I’ve acquired to accomplish this quest without breaking the bank.
I’ve flown 35,000 miles for $418, traveled an additional 150,000 miles all around the world, and lived like James Bond in Monaco using these tactics.
Steve’s Epic Quest of Awesome
Here are the things I hope to accomplish over the next few years – it’s a work in progress and subject to change based on future circumstances. Nerd Fitness is a community, and I want to help others do cool things too. If I’m coming to your neck of the woods and you want to meet up or join me on an adventure, please let me know so we can meet up!
- Have a Youtube Video Reach 1 Million Views (Completed 3/1/18)
- Play Golf at St. Andrews in Scotland (Completed 7/17/16)
- Visit Loch Ness in Scotland (Completed 7/7/16)
- Visit the William Wallace Memorial in Stirling (Completed 7/16/16)
- Become a Published Author (Completed 1/21/2016)
- Perform On a Street Corner (Completed 9/9/15)
- Pass 250,000 subscribers on Nerd Fitness (Completed 2/15/15)
- Complete 5 strict muscle ups (Completed 8/4/14)
- Explore Plitvice Lakes in Croatia (Completed 8/11/14)
- Attend Yacht Week – (Completed 8/9/14)
- Pay off my student loans – four years early! (Completed 12/19/13)
- Play golf at Kiawah Island Ocean Course (1/5 completed on Top 5 Public Courses) (Completed 10/10/13)
- Watch the Red Sox win the World Series (Completed 10/30/13)
- Pass 100,000 subscribers on Nerd Fitness (Completed 9/24/13)
- Visit Christ the Redeemer in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (Completed 2/8/13)
- Attend Carnival in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (Completed 2/9/13)
- Have 50,000 Subscribers on Nerd Fitness (Completed 3/4/13)
- Have 1 million visitors in 30 days on Nerd Fitness (completed 3/3/13)
- Set a world Record: World’s Longest Floating Human Chain (completed 7/5/13)
- Visit Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany (Completed 09/28/12)
- Visit Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany (Completed 09/29/12)
- Speak at TEDx (completed 4/28/12)
- Do a muscle up (completed 3/14/12)
- Get 20,000 subscribers on NF (completed 6/28/12)
LEVEL 8 – MASTER QUEST – worth 100% exp
- Be a Guest Speaker at Facebook (completed 1/25/12)
- See the big 5 on an African Safari (completed 12/15/11)
- Visit Cape of Good Hope (completed 12/10/11)
- Climb Table Mountain in South Africa (completed 12/9/11)
- Have 10,000 subscribers on NF (completed 11/20/11)
- Have my own clothing line (completed 9/24/11)
LEVEL 6 – MASTER QUEST – worth 100% exp
- Live like James Bond in Monte Carlo – (completed 9/10/11)
- Visit the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain (completed 9/17/11)
- Climb the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France (completed 9/6/11)
- Exercise in front of the Palace of Versailles in France (completed 9/4/11)
- Visit the Notre Dame Cathedral in France (completed 9/3/11)
- Go through the Louvre in Paris, France (completed 9/3/11)
- Kiss the Blarney Stone (completed 8/29/11).
- Visit Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland (Completed 8/9/11)
- Visit the Great Wall of China (Completed 5/20/11)
- Rock climb the cliffs of Thailand (Completed 5/6/11)
- Visit Angkor Wat (Completed 4/29/11)
LEVEL 3 MASTER QUEST (worth 100% exp)
- Be a guest speaker at Google (Completed 6/1/11)
- Visit Uluru – Ayer’s Rock (Completed 4/13/11)
- Find Nemo while scuba-diving the Great Barrier Reef (Completed 3/29/11)
- Skydive over New Zealand (Completed 3/12/11)
- Bungee Jump in Queenstown (Completed 3/13/11)
- Pilot a stunt plane (Completed 2/26/11)
- Make a full time living on Nerd Fitness (Completed 06/19/10)
- Visit Machu Picchu in Peru (Completed 11/10/10)
- Start my own company (Completed 6/15/10)
- Perform on stage in front of at least 1,000 people (Completed 1/10/10) I’m the one playing piano on the left.
- Drive cross-country – (Completed 08/06/06) Cape Cod, MA to San Diego, CA
North America (The Starting Zone)
- Swim in the Atlantic and Pacific in the same day
- Go camping and rafting in the Grand Canyon
- Surf on my own handmade board
- Visit Mount Rushmore in South Dakota
- Go to the Statue of Liberty in New York
- Be an extra in a Hollywood movie
- Be in a commercial
- Fix up an old boat and take it out on the ocean (like Andy in the Shawshank Redemption)
- Play in the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas, NV
- Go fishing in Newfoundland
- Go fishing in Alaska
- Play golf at top 5 public courses in America (Pebble Beach, Whistling Straits, Pacific Dunes,
Kiawah Island, Shadow Creek). Watch the Red Sox Win the World Series Drive cross country (Sandwich, MA to San, Diego, CA)
Central/South America (The Jungle/Forest Level)
- Exercise in front of the statues on Easter Island
- Visit the Galapagos Islands
- Participate in a Capoeira roda in Brazil
Attend Carnival in Rio de Janeiro Visit Christ the Redeemer in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
- Dance the tango in Argentina
- Visit Tikal in Guatemala
- Visit Chichen Itza in Mexico
- Visit Teotihuacan in Mexico
- Go through the Panama Canal
- Visit the Salar de Uyuni Saltflats in Bolivia
Visit Machu Picchu in Peru
Europe (The Ancient City Level)
Kiss the Blarney Stone in Ireland Visit Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland Visit Loch Ness in Scotland
- Visit the Lagavulin Distillery in Scotland
- Take a bagpipe lesson in Scotland
Play golf at St. Andrews in Scotland
- Attend an English Premiere League match, singing cheers and drinking with the hooligans
- Visit Stonehenge in England
- Spend a night in a castle
Visit the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain
- Dance all night on the island of Ibiza, Spain
Attend Yacht Week in Croatia
- Attend Tomatina in Spain
Climb the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France
- Visit Mont St. Michel in France
Visit the Louvre in France Exercise in front of the Palace of Versailles in France Visit the Notre Dame Cathedral in France Go to Oktoberfest in Germany Visit Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria
- Visit Hohenzollern Castle in Germany
- Visit the Coliseum, Vatican, St. Peter’s Basilisca, in Rome, Italy
- Visit the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Pisa, Italy
- Visit the Duomo in Florence, Italy
- Visit the Parthenon in Greece
- Visit the Statue of Leonidas in Thermopylae, Greece
- Visit the Blue Domed Church of Santorini, Greece
Exercise in Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia(which reminds me of Metroid: Prime)
- Exercise in front of St. Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow, Russia
- Research my ancestry in Sweden, Norway, and Finland
Africa (the Desert Level)
- Visit the Pyramids in Egypt
Go on an African Safari
- Dive with sharks in South Africa
- Ride an ostrich in South Africa
Climb Table Mountain in South Africa Go to the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa
- Visit Madagascar
- Snowboard at Ski Dubai in Dubai
- Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
- Ride a camel through the Sahara Desert
- Visit Petra, Jordan (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ftw!)
Far East (the Hidden Temple Level)
- Attempt the Ninja Warrior course in Japan
- Study Kung Fu in Shaolin, China
Visit the Great Wall of China
- Visit Okinawa, Japan, the home of Mr. Miyagi
- Visit Potala Palace in Tibet
- See the Taj Mahal in India
- Go to the Holi Festival or Dwali Festival in India
- Ride the Trans-Siberian Railroad across Russia
- Visit the Hagia Sofia in Istanbul, Turkey
- Visit the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey
- Ride a horse in Mongolia
Visit Angkor Wat in Cambodia
- Spend a week or more studying Muay Thai Boxing in Thailand
Rock climb on the cliffs of Thailand
South Pacific (the Water/Beach level)
Skydive over New Zealand Bungee Jump in Queenstown Scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef Visit Ayer’s Rock
- Snowboard and surf in the same day in New Zealand
- Visit Borobudur Temple in Java, Indonesia
- Visit the Palace of Brunei
Antarctica (the Snow Level)
- Set foot on land
- High-five a penguin!
Personal Level Up Goals
Pilot an Airplane Start My Own Company
- Spend a week getting kite board certified
- Complete a rally racing training school
- Visit all 7 continents (6/7 complete)
- Fly completely around the world (in one direction)
Pay off all of my student loans – $6,600 to go
- Shoot even par on 9 holes on a full size golf course
- Shoot even par on 18 holes on a full size golf course
- Shoot under par on 18 holes on a full size golf course
- Get a hole in one on a regulation golf hole
- Get a bullseye with bow and arrow
rock star Goals
Perform on stage in front of at least 1,000 people
- Write and record an original song
- Learn to play “Promentory” on the violin
- Learn to play “Concerning Hobbits” on the violin
- Sit at a piano in a public place, start playing “Piano Man” (piano), and have the crowd singing along by the end.
- Spend an afternoon as a busker on a street corner (guitar)
- Join a band on stage for one song in a Nashville Bar (any instrument)
Make a Full time living through Nerd Fitness Become a published author
- Become a NYT-Bestselling Author
- Start a charity that raises at least $1,000,0000
Create a video on YouTube that has 1,000,000 views Have my own clothing line Have 10,000 subscribers on NF Have 20,000 subscribers on NF Have 50,000 subscribers on NF Have 100,000 subscribers on NF Have 250,000 subscribers to NF
- Have 500,000 subscribers to NF
- Have 1,000,000 subscribers to NF
Get a million visits to the site in one month
Jason Bourne/James Bond Goals
Become conversational in a 2nd language (Spanish)
- Become conversational in a third language
- Become conversational in a fourth language
- Obtain dual citizenship
- Create and keep a WTSHTF bag ready (google the phrase)
- Take a Krav Maga course and become proficient
- Pass a civilian firearms training course
- Pass a SWAT class
- Learn how to become a proficient locksmith
Strength Training Goals
- Do 10 handstand push ups against the wall
- Do 5 handstand push ups freestanding
- Do 10 pistol squats with each leg
- Do 10 one-arm push ups with each arm
- Hold a freestanding handstand for 60 seconds
Do a muscle up Do 5 consecutive strict muscle ups
- Hold a wide leg planche for 10 seconds
- Hold a front lever for 10 seconds
- Hold a back lever for 10 seconds
- Deadlift 405 lbs once (currently 3 reps at 320 lbs and climbing!)
- Do 10 pull ups with 45 pounds of additional weight
These are all worth 100% experience or more due to their complexity or difficulty
- Buy a tropical island (yes I’m serious)
- Play golf at Augusta National in Georgia
- Get photographed walking down the red carpet at some epic event
- Be a guest on a prime time talk show
- Go into outer space
- Get in the Guinness Book of World Records for something
Live like James Bond in Monaco Be a guest lecturer at Google HQ Be a guest lecturer at Facebook HQ
So, what am I missing? What are some of the places I need to see or things I need to do that aren’t on this list? If you live in a place I plan on visiting and you want to meet up, please let me know. Don’t worry, you’ll be able to read all about where I’m at and where I’m headed here on NF.
I’ll leave you with a quote from the Shawshank Redemption that expresses how I feel:
I find I’m so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.
I can’t wait to hear your suggestions on what to add to the Epic Quest.
Just don’t get me killed, okay?
My mom would be PISSED.
339 thoughts on “My Epic Quest”
This inspires me to write my own goals starting today! Bucket list, long terms, short terms, whatever it is. Keeps your eyes and mind on something. Thanks for the inspiration. Now for the perspiration! God bless!
What a great bucket list!
You should come to Iceland and go river rafting in Hvítá. And you should do it in the beginning of May cause than it´s the most extreme. Then you should hike on the top of Hvannadalshnjúkur: http://stuckiniceland.com/extreme/hiking-to-the-top-of-iceland/ and then you can go and relax in the Blue lagoon, one of the wonders of the world: http://www.bluelagoon.com/about-us/news-list/blue-lagoon-is-one-of-the-wonders-of-the-world/4/
How do you decide how many experience points each one is?
HI!! Saw this on FaceBook. Checking it all out before I join.
Just listened to you on a podcast (Authority Hacker). Wicked-good story, super authentic, very awesome. Totally grabbed some ideas and hope to implement. Good luck with your EQ!
Inspirational stuff, Steve. Good luck with the rest of your goals!
Jealousy is good… use your feelings, let the jealousy flow through you… let it lead you to your journey towards the epic awesomeness… It’s the “Oh, I want to have done that too! I want to experience that too!” that is the stuff greatness is made of 😀
Yep. I have a suggestion.
Google “Real Life Heroes” and do that.
Become NatGeo’s Adventurer of the Year.
Get Right Livelihood Prize.
Become Humanitarian of the Year.
Arrange a huge barbecue, potluck, picnic in the place where you live, open for all, invite everyone, especially the homeless and poor people, and make Right and Left, Rich and Poor, Black and White, Men and Women, Natural Born Citizens and Aliens, Theists and Atheists, Christians and Muslims and Jews, all have fun together, get to know each other, improve the town solidarity and get people to see each other as friends and not as enemies.
Work at the local schools to stop bullying.
Make your version of SYED, and do things that scare YOU, not things that most people find scary like bungee-jumping and spelunking and playing with rats, spiders and snakes. If nothing scares you, become a personal coach to fat, poor people for free, work to improve the living standard of the homeless people in your neighborhood, become a “big brother” to bullied kids in the neighborhood (the risk of people looking at you as if you were a pedophile is really scary), but there’s “bikers against bullying” and “bikers against child abuse”.
Do things in your own neighborhood to make it a better place to live for everyone there. Start walking around at night to see if there are kids or women (or men, for that matter) who might need some protection. If your immediate neighborhood is safe, move to an unsafe place and start working to make that a better place. Yep, that is scary and something most people will never do. THAT is some epic stuff.
Teach people to read. Illiteracy in USA is surprisingly high. A lot of people can read only the most essential, and majority NEVER reads any books.
Create an open library for people.
Start a storytelling circle, go to some place every Saturday and start reading a fairytale. Practice so that your voice is loud and clear but flexible.
Learn to read stories and start reading for Librivox and YouTube.
Go to the homeless people and promise to pay them with a good dinner if they clean up the environment, pick trash and such, and have an arrangement with a local coffeeshop to give these people a cup of coffee against a voucher or coupon or something you pay for during the day. And then in the evening, sit with them and listen to their stories over a can of beer or something. If you don’t drink or if you think they shouldn’t drink, make it a cup of coffee or some other beverage they like. They have great stories. Might not be good at telling them, but they are well worth hearing.
Start a campaign to collect woolen blankets and good quality winter coats for homeless people, good socks and gloves, and sleeping pads, and “care packages”. Learn to cut hair and go around giving people free haircuts/shaves. Learn to give pedicure and take care of homeless person’s feet. After you have cared for their feet, give them a pair of clean, new socks and whole shoes.
Make a habit of inviting a homeless person to your home to have some “normality” in their lives. Many are fully capable of doing something in return, so that it doesn’t become “charity”. It shouldn’t be, but more like couchsurfing. You never know what that means to people. It could be the “sign” they need to turn their lives around and become something bigger and be able to pay back – or forward – in unexpected and amazing way.
Make so that when you die, you leave enough money to fund humanitarian, ecological or some other kind of prizes, like Nobel prizes, to people who have done something truly epic, heroic, amazing, to make the world a better place and to inspire others to do the same.
Hmm… What are you trying to say with this?
Do you understand the concept of “bucket list”?
How would you put God on your “bucket list”? I don’t put things like “breathe” on my “bucket list”. I don’t put “have a mother and father” on my list. In MY life God is just as elementary part.
And the world is full of amazing things. I don’t need to look at stars to know that. There’s a lot on this planet we know nothing about, like the oceans. Or all the countries and places he visits. All the people he meets.
So, sorry to say this, but you come across as a rather stupid man, who doesn’t quite understand God, belief, bucket lists, epic journeys or the purpose of this blog. If you want to talk about God to people, create your own blog. Talk about your own journey. Make people envious of your life and your experiences and make your spiritual bucket list into goal oriented list, a list of things that can be DONE, ACHIEVED, COMPLETED.
Seriously, why would you even think it’s a good idea to make your relationship with God into some sort of “to do list goal”? Like “been there, done that, moving on”?
Ok, I just read your response to someone else:
“I felt like sharing the altruistic goals here kind of defeated the purpose (kinda like “look at me!” and how charitable/great I am) and instead choose to live them out daily and hold myself personally accountable.”
Why is it OK to “look at me how fit and adventurous I am” but it’s somehow embarrassing to say “look at me how charitable/great/good person I am”?
The people you help won’t care why people help them, and being a good person is equally inspiring than traveling around the world.
And wouldn’t it be a challenge to present these things in a way that puts the focus on the people and causes and not on you?
The Creation Museum in Kentucky has nothing to do with faith and the Good Lord. We are LIVING IN the Creation and he is traveling around the world to see all of it.
Also, don’t you think God and faith should be part of life and not a bucketlist goal you check “done” and move on?
Steve! You need to mark off become a published author!
I’m not sure if you STILL have a bull, but this one has been on MY personal bucket list for a little while. I live in Austin! Happy to help you with something on your list in exchange.