There are a lot of benefits WHEN YOU Join Team Nerd Fitness:
1) Work with talented people. We aren’t perfect, but people on Team Nerd Fitness have super powers that are well honed in different areas. If you like working with passionate, talented people, that’s us.
2) Work remotely. We have team members that live in 8 different states. We don’t have set “working hours” or vacation days – instead, we expect everyone to get their work done on time. We hit deadlines and work really hard to be accountable to each other, but we don’t care where you work from. Have family in another state or another country? No problem – go work from there!
3) We care about our team, our customers, and our community. We’re changing the world for the better. We’re helping hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world. If that’s appealing to you – and you care – you’ll fit right in.
4) Most positions start as a 1099 contractor on a per project basis. This setup is the most simple and clean to start. We’re a team and business that’s growing FAST and we’re up for constantly evaluating where talented people can fill roles and provide value to our community. If you’re a go-getter, you’ll succeed here fast.
ONGOING OPPORTUNITY: Online Fitness Coach
Nerd Fitness is looking for experienced, self-motivated online Coaches to join our rapidly-growing and evolving House Coaching – and the awesome group of nerds below.
Currently, we are only hiring for full-time roles, which includes evening and weekend work.
The 50 Foot View: Your Role as a Coach
Nerd Fitness Coaching is an online health and fitness program that combines the best of one-on-one training – expertise and program customization – with the accountability and support of the Nerd Fitness community to help members get healthy in a sustainable, permanent way. We work with clients to balance fitness, nutrition, and mindset to help them reach goals they thought were once unattainable. You can read some success stories here, here, and here.
Our Coaching program currently has over a dozen Coaches and hundreds of clients, and use a proprietary Nerd Fitness Coaching app that enables us to serve clients in a way that suits our unique offering. Our strategy as a company includes deep concentration and commitment to the program’s growth in 2019 and beyond.
While it is not your responsibility to find new clients, it will be your responsibility to lead and inspire the clients assigned to you in a way that feels personal and customized to their particular needs and goals. You’ll chat with them most frequently through our app’s messenger, but you’ll also make phone and video calls. You will be expected to be proactive about protecting the clients on your roster from losing momentum and ultimately quitting. We do not offer a one-size-fits-all approach, and your Coaching style must meet be adaptable to meet clients where they are.
Your roster growth will be gradual but demanding, as the first month of a client’s journey with us is the most labor-intensive as you get to know one another and set up programming.
Having many years of in-person Coaching experience will lay the foundation of success in this role, but the skill set needed to thrive as an online Coach is much greater than programming and form checks. Clients do not meet you for an hour, do a workout, and go home. Because of the nature of connection via the app, the role of an online Coach requires elite communication skills, understanding of behavioral psychology, and a willingness to be more involved in the day to day success of your clients. We don’t go outside our scope of practice, but the demands of online Coaching are different than what you may expect at a gym (though our hours don’t start at 5am).
We train you in the procedures, practices, and Client retention strategies that have allowed Nerd Fitness Coaching to grow at such an outstanding pace this year. You will have continued, direct support from the Nerd Fitness team and brainstorm new, exciting ideas with the entire Nerd Fitness Coaching staff – a powerful hivemind and support group. You may be working by yourself at home, but you will never feel alone!
This job is hard. We have aggressive goals, very high expectations, and no time for excuses. The flip side? We all genuinely care and support one another, and we are making a real difference on the lives of hundreds of people in our Rebellion – soon thousands. And the most exciting part of all? We’re just getting started.
Straight from the Coach’s Mouth
Curious about what our actual Coaches have to say about being part of the team? These folks were in your shoes and are now making an enormous difference in lives of their clients and to the program as a whole.
“I was a CrossFit gym owner before and wanted to dive more into individual coaching to build deeper relationships with clients. I was also intrigued with working remotely – wherever and whenever I wanted. But if you’re imagining sipping margaritas on the beach after you’ve set your clients with their programs, you’re dead wrong. Online coaching is arguably more challenging than in-person coaching; it really puts your coaching chops to the test. On top of that, Nerd Fitness places very, very high standards on their coaches. All of this isn’t meant to scare you – in fact it should excite you – but if you’re not organized and on top of your sh**, this might not be the right job for you.
I will say this, having been a coach for 8 years, running my own business, helping thousands of clients already, I felt like the systems the NF Coaching taught brought my own coaching to another level. It’s a great team and I’m proud to be a part of it. So if you’re ready for a challenge, enjoy rewarding work helping others, and want to be a part of a solid team, we can’t wait to meet you.” – Coach Pat, joined the team in June, 2018.
“The biggest difference for me when moving from in-person coaching to online coaching was the type of impact I was having in my client’s lives. It was both a challenging and (ultimately) rewarding transition, though overwhelming in the beginning. I had so much more insight into my client’s thought-processes that it became so much LESS about trying to craft the “perfect” workout, and so much MORE about being able to communicate at the right time, in the right way, about the right thing. While some of the challenges are similar as to what they are in in-person coaching, there are also many more ways you can affect clients’ lives, and as such, much more flexibility and openness demanded of you as a coach. It can be humbling, but ultimately, I know I am a much better coach for embracing this process.” – Coach Matt M, joined the team in July, 2018.
“The coaching program has grown tremendously since I’ve been a part of it and it continues to grow. NF is willing to put the time and resources into your development as a coach and your clients’ success. It’s unlike any fitness job I’ve ever had. I feel like I’m valued not only as a coach but as a person. The expectations are high because the stakes are high. We know how much of an impact we make on a daily basis in our community, providing the Rebellion with hope and so much more.” – Coach Matt S. Joined the team in February, 2018.
“While I did have some online training experience prior to working for Nerd Fitness, working 100% online with a larger number of clients was a bit of a change. When coaching online, you are much more involved in your client’s day-to-day journey and need to be prepared to help them in all areas of health, not just exercise. This means more types of challenges to overcome, but also a greater impact on their lives. The work is tough and requires dedication, time management skills, and troubleshooting ability. But you get to collaborate with an amazing team of Coaches and fellow nerds, all working together to make a huge difference in a lot of people’s lives, which is very rewarding.” – Coach Kerry, joined the team in April, 2018.
“I worked as an in-person Personal Trainer for over a decade, and was Director of a CrossFit gym for three years. I enjoyed great success and accolades for each one, but I still had little idea what to expect when I joined Nerd Fitness and helped establish the Online Coaching program. As my colleagues have said, you need to bring your coaching game up a notch to work online. While there are a few similarities to in-person sessions, it’s definitely a new challenge that has greatly improved my coaching procedures, organization, and ability to truly connect to a Client – one that I have never met in person!
It’s tough, but if you’re ready to set your ego aside and really grow as a professional, there’s no better environment. I’ve progressed more in the past two years than the past ten. All this translates into making a difference in the lives of a tremendous amount of people!” -Head Coach Jim, pioneered Nerd Fitness Coaching in May, 2016.
Not scared yet? Awesome!
You might have what it takes to earn the title of NF Coach. But how do you measure up to our elite crew? Take a look in the mirror and consider how many qualities from the list below sound like you.
Our most successful Coaches have these internal strengths in common:
- Fitness AND Nutrition education and training in one or more of the following: Nationally accredited Personal Trainer certification; College degree in a related field; Nutritional coaching certification (like Precision Nutrition); Any related seminars or certifications.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience as a personal trainer, online or in person, with consistently stellar reviews from your clients and superiors.
- Exceptional communication skills; easy to talk and relate to on the phone, via written medium, or through short videos to clients. Talking to people should energize you, as this is what you’ll be be doing the majority of your day.
- Ability to follow outlined organization and structure to the day and to each process in managing client needs.
- Strong internal motivation to meet and exceed goals. While we talk regularly as a team, no one is watching over you all day, so you should be able to self-start and keep a narrow focus on your KPIs.
- Very comfortable with technology, troubleshooting problems, adapting to new systems, and have a knack for teaching it to others.
- Willing to work some nights and weekends, as we have clients from around the world who need to connect as their schedules permit.
- Appreciation of structure, but can also go with the flow. As this new program expands, systems and processes continue to evolve and change. We expect all Coaches to be able to ride (and enjoy!) the wave while also contributing ideas to make us better as a team.
- A problem-solving attitude. We fill our team with problem solvers, not problem finders.
- Office setup conducive to working from home – including computer (bonus points for second monitor setup), smartphone, and reliable internet – and can stay on track despite personal distractions. Also keep in mind that the majority of this role will require you to be sitting at a desk; this can be a challenge for people used to Coaching on their feet all day.
And also these skills with clients:
- Confidence in outlining and delivering a plan using motivational interviewing techniques for each client that balances fitness, nutrition, and mindset that meets clients where they are in relation to their skill and reasons for getting healthy.
- Ability to empathize with clients; they can meet clients’ tone and need for emotion vs. logic both on a call or through text exchanges.
- No hesitation in jumping on a phone or video call with a client who is struggling, then digging to find the root cause instead of treating the symptoms. Hear what clients aren’t saying.
- They help each client identify their own superpowers and kryptonite and use that information to help them stay on track and accountable.
- Experience selling memberships or services to clients. You won’t be responsible for sales in a Coaching role, but this type of experience has proven important when genuinely reminding clients why Coaching is valuable if they express interest in leaving.
Additional preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Familiar with NF philosophy, content, and communication style. You’re a reader/subscriber/adopter of our content.
- Experience or training in behavioral psychology or motivational interviewing.
- Consistent schedule with availability primarily during weekdays, but occasionally nights and weekends.
- Extreme attention to detail and a master at keeping information organized. Admin upkeep will be as important as strong coaching ability in this role.
- Self-starter, familiar with working from home.
- Voracious learner. As a team, we’ll read books and try new techniques together to always be improving.
- No significant overlaps with other work or school responsibilities. While some of our Coaches maintain a few one-on-one clients, we have found that the demands of this role require truly full-time attention in order to be successful.
If you’ve gotten this far and still think this sounds like an opportunity you’re made for, hell yeah! We look forward to learning more about you.
To apply, email your resume and one-page cover letter as PDFs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your cover letter, please include:
- Your location and time zone
- Your experience working directly with 1-on-1 clients, including online if applicable
- Some of the challenges you think/know arise with Coaching online, along with solutions you’d implement to mitigate
- A brief origin story about how you came to be a Coach and why our Rebels would want you to lead them
- Your earliest start date
In the body of the e-mail, include a link to a 30 second video of you introducing yourself and telling us what excites you about joining our team.
We are currently only accepting applications for trainers who have a desire to work full-time. Please do not apply if you cannot consider full-time contracted work. This opportunity is open to Rebels worldwide.
Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to personally respond if you have not been selected to move forward.