There are a lot of benefits WHEN YOU Join Team Nerd Fitness:
1) Work with talented people. We aren’t perfect, but people on Team Nerd Fitness have super powers that are well honed in different areas. If you like working with passionate, talented people, that’s us.
2) Work remotely. We have team members that live in 8 different states. We don’t have set “working hours” or vacation days – instead, we expect everyone to get their work done on time. We hit deadlines and work really hard to be accountable to each other, but we don’t care where you work from. Have family in another state or another country? No problem – go work from there!
3) We care about our team, our customers, and our community. We’re changing the world for the better. We’re helping hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world. If that’s appealing to you – and you care – you’ll fit right in.
4) Most positions start as a 1099 contractor on a per project basis. This setup is the most simple and clean to start. We’re a team and business that’s growing FAST and we’re up for constantly evaluating where talented people can fill roles and provide value to our community. If you’re a go-getter, you’ll succeed here fast.
We are hiring for the positions!
Click on each role below to expand for more info and see details about how to apply.
Nerd Fitness is looking for experienced, self-motivated online Coaches to join our rapidly-growing and evolving House Coaching – and the awesome group of nerds below.
This is a remote job where coaches with a full roster can expect to earn $45-$50k/year. Compensation is paid per client, so we guarantee a minimum of $2,000/month as you ramp up. More growth specifics will be shared if we elect to move forward after reviewing your first-round application. Currently, we are only hiring for full-time roles.
The 50 Foot View: Your Role as a Coach
Nerd Fitness Coaching is an online health and fitness program that combines the best of one-on-one training – expertise and program customization – with the accountability and support of the Nerd Fitness community to help members get healthy in a sustainable, permanent way. We work with clients to balance fitness, nutrition, and mindset to help them reach goals they thought were once unattainable. You can read some success stories here, here, and here.
Our Coaching program currently has over twenty Coaches and over a thousand clients and uses a proprietary Nerd Fitness Coaching app that enables us to serve clients in a way that suits our unique offering. Our strategy as a company includes deep concentration and commitment to the program’s growth in 2021 and beyond.
While it is not your responsibility to find new clients, it will be your responsibility to lead and inspire the clients assigned to you in a way that feels personal and customized to their particular needs and goals. You’ll chat with clients most frequently through our app’s messenger, but you’ll also record video messages for them and make occasional calls. You will be expected to be proactive about protecting the clients on your roster from losing momentum and ultimately quitting. We do not offer a one-size-fits-all approach, and your Coaching style must be adaptable to meet clients where they are.
Your roster growth will be gradual but demanding, as the first month of a client’s journey with us is the most labor-intensive as you get to know one another and set up programming.
Having many years of in-person Coaching experience will lay the foundation of success in this role, but the skill set needed to thrive as an online Coach is much greater than programming and form checks. Clients do not meet you for an hour, do a workout, and go home. Because of the nature of connection via the app, the role of an online Coach requires elite communication skills, an understanding of behavioral psychology, and a willingness to be more involved in the day-to-day success of your clients. We don’t go outside our scope of practice, but the demands of online Coaching are different than what you may expect at a gym (though our hours don’t start at 5 am).
In addition, we are looking for people who are avid learners, can adapt and implement new tools and systems quickly, work efficiently in a focused manner, know when to ask for help but also take proactive steps on their own, and can relate to and empathize with clients while also setting healthy boundaries and expectations with them.
We train you in the procedures, practices, and Client retention strategies that have allowed Nerd Fitness Coaching to grow at such an outstanding pace. You will have continued, direct support from the Nerd Fitness team and brainstorm new, exciting ideas with the entire Nerd Fitness Coaching staff – a powerful hivemind and support group. You may be working by yourself at home, but you will never feel alone!
This job is hard. We have aggressive goals, very high expectations, and no time for excuses. The flip side? We all genuinely care and support one another, and we are making a real difference in the lives of hundreds of people in our Rebellion – soon thousands. And the most exciting part of all? We’re just getting started.
Straight from the Coach’s Mouth
Curious about what our actual Coaches have to say about being part of the team? These folks were in your shoes and are now making an enormous difference in the lives of their clients and the program as a whole.
"I've been coaching (in-person and online) for over 15 years; if only I had known then what I know now, after learning from the amazing team here at NF, I could have helped SO many more people. I've never experienced a new hire onboarding with more considerate training, encouragement, and support. But it doesn't stop there, we are constantly working on new tools to level up our coaching. And we are a team in every sense of the word. If you need help with a client situation, the entire team is ready to step in and offer advice. It's truly a hive-mind approach to coaching, and although we're all working remotely, we are a family. The job is tough, and we work really hard for our rebels, but we also have a great time doing it." - Coach Jules, joined the team in January 2020.
"Working for Nerd Fitness will level up your game as a Coach. You'll get to work with both clients and coaches from all over the globe and not only broaden your clientele, but expand your coaching skill set. You'll get to make an incredible impact in the lives of others. The team at NF values your feedback and will make you feel at home. Even though you work remotely, you won't be alone. The team is always available to chat and everyone is down to earth and approachable. If you're on the fence - go for it! What would the superhero version of you do?" - Coach Lauren, joined the team in January 2020.
"Working with Nerd Fitness as an online coach has been a dream come true. I not only get to help more people become real-life superhero’s than I could while coaching in-person. I now have a team (we’re basically the Avengers) of peers that encourage me to grow not only as a coach but as a person. Plus I get to wear sweatpants while I work, so there’s that too. There’s been a big learning curve. But I’m grateful for the guidance the coaching mentors have here. I can’t wait to see how Nerd Fitness, our clients, and I grow over the coming years." - Coach Justin, joined the team in November 2018.
“Coming from an in-person gym background, working for Nerd Fitness has been rewarding and challenging all at the same time. Going into this work, I had no idea what remote work looked like as a coach - what support I would get - or even what the culture would be like, but I can honestly say that the support I’ve gotten here at Nerd Fitness has been amazing. I’ve probably learned more about the communication side of coaching since starting here than I did my entire time working at a gym.” - Coach Galo, joined the team in June 2020.
"They say if you want to grow, you should make sure you’re never the smartest person in the room. At Nerd Fitness, I never have to worry about being the smartest person in the metaphorical “room,” but thankfully, no one gives me a hard time about that! Despite many years of formal education in the field, multiple certifications, and 12 years of experience coaching prior to joining the team, it’s no exaggeration to say that the last year working with my fellow NF coaches has taught me more about being a great coach than all of those other things combined. (Those things help, but you don't need them to succeed here.) Besides that, this is the most fun, supportive, family-like team I’ve ever been a part of. Sure, there are challenging times, and I’ve been stretched as I’ve stepped outside my comfort zone, but hey - isn’t becoming better through adversity what we’re all about as coaches? I can’t recommend this team enough to anyone looking to grow as a coach and as a person, and who wants to have a great time doing it!" - Coach Drew, joined the team in January 2020
“The coaching program has grown tremendously since I’ve been a part of it and it continues to grow. NF is willing to put the time and resources into your development as a coach and your clients’ success. It’s unlike any fitness job I’ve ever had. I feel like I’m valued not only as a coach but as a person. The expectations are high because the stakes are high. We know how much of an impact we make on a daily basis in our community, providing the Rebellion with hope and so much more.” – Coach Matt S. Joined the team in February 2018.
“While I did have some online training experience prior to working for Nerd Fitness, working 100% online with a larger number of clients was a bit of a change. When coaching online, you are much more involved in your client’s day-to-day journey and need to be prepared to help them in all areas of health, not just exercise. This means more types of challenges to overcome, but also a greater impact on their lives. The work is tough and requires dedication, time management skills, and troubleshooting ability. But you get to collaborate with an amazing team of Coaches and fellow nerds, all working together to make a huge difference in a lot of people’s lives, which is very rewarding.” – Kerry, Coach and Gatekeeper to the Realm, joined the team in April 2018.
“Working for Nerd Fitness has re-written the narrative for me on what working within this industry can look like. Throughout every step of my journey, I've felt valued, supported, and believed in. Even though you're working remotely, you immediately feel ushered into the open arms of a professional family atmosphere. If you're looking for the refreshing feeling of authenticity and sustainability within an ever-so "vanity inspired" industry, this is the company for you.” - Coach Taylor, joined the team in July 2020.
“Working with the team at Nerd Fitness has fundamentally changed how I coach for the better. The transition from coaching in-person to coaching online was an extremely challenging one that required me to learn and adapt, but also gave me a unique perspective and skill-set that allows me to have a much broader impact on the lives of my clients. It’s so much less about writing workouts or giving movement feedback, and so much more about being able to communicate at the right time, in the right way, about the right thing. I’ve always been someone who loves to learn, but joining Nerd Fitness gave me the tools, resources, peers, and mentors that really pushed me to a level I never thought possible before. Being a part of this team and community makes me excited to come to work every day.” – Head of Coaching Matt M, joined the team in July 2018.
“I worked as an in-person Personal Trainer for over a decade and was Director of a CrossFit gym for three years. I enjoyed great success and accolades for each one, but I still had little idea what to expect when I joined Nerd Fitness and helped establish the Online Coaching program. As my colleagues have said, you need to bring your coaching game up a notch to work online. While there are a few similarities to in-person sessions, it’s definitely a new challenge that has greatly improved my coaching procedures, organization, and ability to truly connect to a Client – one that I have never met in person!
It’s tough, but if you’re ready to set your ego aside and really grow as a professional, there’s no better environment. I’ve progressed more in the past two years than the past ten. All this translates into making a difference in the lives of a tremendous amount of people!” - Head of Fitness Jim B, pioneered Nerd Fitness Coaching in May 2016.
Not scared yet? Awesome!
You might have what it takes to earn the title of NF Coach. But how do you measure up to our elite crew? Take a look in the mirror and consider how many qualities from the list below sound like you.
Our most successful Coaches have these internal strengths in common:
- Fitness AND Nutrition education and training in one or more of the following: Nationally accredited Personal Trainer certification; College degree in a related field; Nutritional coaching certification (like Precision Nutrition); Any related seminars or certifications.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience as a personal trainer, online or in person, with consistently stellar reviews from your clients and superiors.
- Exceptional communication skills; easy to talk and relate to on the phone, via the written medium, or through short videos to clients. Talking to people should energize you, as this is what you'll be doing the majority of your day.
- Ability to follow outlined organization and structure to the day and to each process in managing client needs.
- Strong internal motivation to meet and exceed goals. While we talk regularly as a team, no one is watching over you all day, so you should be able to self-start and keep a narrow focus on your KPIs.
- Very comfortable with technology, troubleshooting problems, adapting to new systems, and have a knack for teaching it to others.
- Appreciation of structure, but can also go with the flow. As this new program expands, systems and processes continue to evolve and change. We expect all Coaches to be able to ride (and enjoy!) the wave while also contributing ideas to make us better as a team.
- A problem-solving attitude. We fill our team with problem solvers, not problem finders.
- Office setup conducive to working from home – including computer (bonus points for second monitor setup), smartphone, and reliable internet – and can stay on track despite personal distractions. Also, keep in mind that the majority of this role will require you to be sitting at a desk; this can be a challenge for people used to Coaching on their feet all day.
And also these skills with clients:
- Confidence in outlining and delivering a plan using motivational interviewing techniques for each client that balances fitness, nutrition, and mindset that meets clients where they are in relation to their skill and reasons for getting healthy.
- Ability to empathize with clients; they can meet clients’ tone and need for emotion vs. logic both on a call or through text exchanges.
- No hesitation in jumping on a phone or video call with a client who is struggling, then digging to find the root cause instead of treating the symptoms. Hear what clients aren’t saying.
- They help each client identify their own superpowers and kryptonite and use that information to help them stay on track and accountable.
- Experience selling memberships or services to clients. You won’t be responsible for sales in a Coaching role, but this type of experience has proven important when genuinely reminding clients why Coaching is valuable if they express interest in leaving.
Additional preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Familiar with NF philosophy, content, and communication style. You’re a reader/subscriber/adopter of our content.
- Experience or training in behavioral psychology or motivational interviewing.
- A consistent schedule with availability during weekdays.
- Extreme attention to detail and a master at keeping information organized. Admin upkeep will be as important as strong coaching ability in this role.
- Self-starter, familiar with working from home.
- Voracious learner. As a team, we’ll read books and try new techniques together to always be improving.
- No significant overlaps with other work or school responsibilities. While some of our Coaches maintain a few one-on-one clients, we have found that the demands of this role require truly full-time attention in order to be successful.
If you’ve gotten this far and still think this sounds like an opportunity you’re made for, hell yeah! We look forward to learning more about you.
To apply, email your resume and one-page cover letter as PDFs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your cover letter, please include:
- Your location and time zone
- Your experience working directly with 1-on-1 clients, including online if applicable
- Some of the challenges you think/know arise with Coaching online, along with solutions you’d implement to mitigate
- A brief origin story about how you came to be a Coach and why our Rebels would want you to lead them
- Your earliest start date
In the body of the e-mail, include a link to a 30-second video (hosted on YouTube or similar) of you introducing yourself and telling us what excites you about joining our team. Make sure this video link is public.
DO NOT submit Word doc files or any video that must be downloaded. These applications will not be reviewed.
This opportunity is open worldwide to trainers who have a desire to work full-time. Please do not apply if you cannot consider full-time contracted work.
We are actively looking for new Coaches to add to our team – with a target start time of late April 2021. Before applying, please consider that any time off will be extremely limited for your first 4-6 months on our team as you get up to speed with our best practices and serve clients.
Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to personally respond if you have not been selected to move forward.
We are searching for an enthusiastic, self-motivated internal phone salesperson to join our fast growing team at Nerd Fitness.
This will be a part-time role - and will be focused primarily on day time slots. You'll be the backup, taking overflow calls from our primary day-time salesperson.
Essentially, we are looking for someone to spend most their work day having quick, fun conversations with nerds (both current customers and new visitors to Nerd Fitness) who sign up to get more information and apply to join our 1-on-1 coaching program.
You’ll need to love talking with new people, be excellent at getting to know others and building rapport quickly, and have a passion for helping determine if our custom 1-on-1 solution is the best fit for them. You’ll then share an accurate and detailed description of exactly how we can help them with our program - as well as options to join the program when applicable.
You will be compensated based on the number of nerds that join during or after your conversations and email follow ups with them. And you’ll play an essential and rewarding part of helping these self-interested nerds change their lives through fitness.
This job is fully remote, can be done from anywhere, but requires a reliable internet connection, a comfortable working arrangement, and a quiet environment (since you’ll be on phone conversations most of the time).
This opportunity is best suited for someone with a lot of scheduling flexibility. You'll have large blocks of time available during typical daytime (US) hours. However, you won't always have the calls fill up on your schedule.
Sometimes these times won't fill up completely, other times we have a rush and the entire time you have available will fill with excited nerds wanting to talk more about how Coaching may be a good fit for their goals. This is a great opportunity for someone who can put up the time, and be flexible to take calls based on the frequency people book (again, sometimes this is very few - sometimes it's a large percentage of the time you put up).
Nerd Fitness is a fast growing company of 40+ full-time team members and coaches that has tremendous potential for individual growth and responsibility. This role is no exception. While internal phone sales is the core objective, there will be ample opportunity for the right person to grow inside the sales department in the coming years.
Our online community has 2 million monthly visitors to its free content, has over 40,000 paid customers in its digital products and trainings, and offers 1-on-1 online coaching to hundreds of monthly clients. We focus on helping self-proclaimed nerds, misfits, and mutants get healthy in a sustainable, permanent way.
Currently, existing customers and new visitors to Nerd Fitness can read a little bit about how our 1-on-1, private coaching works before signing up for a phone call (usually between 20-25 minutes total) to talk to a Nerd Fitness team member.
This is where you will come in.
You will call these "inbound" leads at the time they have selected. You’ll quickly get to know them and their current fitness goals, motivations, dreams, restrictions, and current hurdles. You’ll ensure first that we CAN help them and that we’re a great fit for one another. Reread that sentence again. LISTENING will be key. We want to actually get to know our clients and figure out HOW our program can help them (and IF it can) first.
Second, you’ll set expectations about what they can expect inside the coaching program. Third, you’ll ensure that you focus on how our program will benefit their experience, help them reach their goals, and work into their life.
You will be on the frontlines with our most important asset - our community members. We need someone who is enthusiastic, passionate, great at building rapport, and cares deeply about helping people change their lives for the better. Someone who listens as much as they talk (but also loves to talk as you will be listening AND talking all day in this role).
You’ll represent and be the voice of our entire team and play a key role in the next steps of each and every person you speak with.
Still interested? Sound like you? Read on for more specifics.
You will be expected to:
- Work remotely to make phone calls each month and manage the follow up process to add clients to our Coaching program. At this time, all calls are warm leads provided by Nerd Fitness. A potential customer must set up the call themselves if they are interested in learning more.
- Of the calls picked up, you’ll be expected to track and maintain a minimum average rate of clients added (based on average rate of other team members). Many customers are ready to join on the phone, some will require email follow up. All these additional clients will count towards your progress here. This conversion rate should show improvement month over month.
- Maintain flexible availability on our schedule. Our scheduling platform means that many times our salespeople will have larger blocks of time available and that only some of that time fills up. That's great - and allows a flexible "work from anywhere" environment. Sometimes you'll put up a large amount of time and only have a few calls. Other times you'll put up an 8 hour block and every single slot will be filled with 16 individual calls. The right person for this job thrives with the flexibility of adjusting and adding time - and is eager for anytime when they can get people to book time to chat about their fitness goals and about our Coaching program.
To hit our company goals, your contributions will include (but are not limited to):
- Managing our call scheduling software (currently YouCanBookMe) and its integrations (with Zapier, Infusionsoft, HelpScout etc). We’ll teach you to use this simple software and manage the sales pipeline.
- Making yourself available for a a minimum of 20 hours a week for calls and administrative tasks associated with following up with leads. The bulk of these hours will be weekend hours with some weekday evenings included.
- Communicating clearly with potential clients via phone and email about the program itself, ways it can exceed their needs, and next steps to get started. Once a client makes a payment, his or her Coach takes over the responsibility for their success.
- Developing and improving scripts and email templates to lay the foundation for a growing sales team. How can we improve how we share, communicate with, and show value to our nerds? You’ll be expected to help shape this based on your experience on the phone.
- Tracking your calls, your pick ups, and other analytics across various sources or paths to determine which result in highest potential for joining coaching. You’ll track this in detail and we’ll work together to help get more of the best sources coming in.
- Maintaining high level of organization and structure that allows you to follow up with leads in a timely, efficient manner.
- Keeping concise notes about each customer interaction. Your conversations will lay the foundation of a Coach’s knowledge about a client and can help guarantee a positive impression when a Coach speaks to a client for the first time.
Skills that would enable you to thrive:
- You have great communication skills, both spoken and written. You can connect with people easily over the phone. You’re easy to talk to, make friends easily, and are someone that people can trust to have their best interest in mind. Speaking to other people energizes you.
- People in your life regularly brag about how good of a listener you are. You enjoy listening to people share their personal experiences and naturally know what simple questions to ask to help get more information and more detail from them.
- You have 3-5 years experience on a sales team and excelled in various sales environments.
- You not only are good on the phone, you want to spend your working hours calling and talking to passionate people. You enjoy the prospect of getting to know a new person quickly and are thrilled to start new conversations regularly.
- You have a high level of internal motivation to meet and exceed goals. You won’t have someone watching over you all day, so you should be able to self-start and keep a narrow focus on your metrics. You don’t need external motivation to perform.
- You have an intense desire to learn the ins and outs of the product and our Coaches’ strengths, and understand how the first few days of a client’s interaction with the Sales Team and the Coach impact a client’s lifespan in the program. You will improve the process as you go.
- You have previous experience with Slack, Trello, Google Docs, YouCanBookMe, HelpScout, and/or Infusionsoft. You are quick to pick up new technology and are able to troubleshoot challenges on your own.
- You have a reliable computer, headset, and internet connection and can make calls through programs like Google Hangouts and Skype.
- You have a quiet work environment that you can make calls from, without distraction.
- You are flexible in your work life. If people don't answer, that's okay. If people cancel or reschedule, that's okay. If your time doesn't fill up, that's okay. And most importantly, if ALL your time fills up with back to back conversations - that's definitely okay, too.
Preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Acquainted with health, fitness, self improvement, and habit building concepts.
- Familiar with Nerd Fitness philosophy, content, and communication style.
- Consistent weekly availability and flexibility in schedule with availability during several weekday evenings as well as at least one weekend.
- Extreme attention to detail and a master at keeping information organized.
- Quick learner when it comes to implementing new technology or online software.
You’ll be compensated for each person who joins our Coaching program after your sales call or follow up. You will receive additional bonus compensation if a customer elects for one of our 6 or 12 month prepaid options when signing up.
The full compensation details of each sale will be provided if you are selected for a follow-up or an interview.
The amount a salesperson can earn is only capped by available leads and by the amount of availability they schedule each week (it's not capped by us). We expect the right person to quickly excel and push the limits of the position quickly.
Please note that while this is a remote position, we are a U.S. based company and you must be authorized to work in the United States to apply.
If this sounds like an opportunity you’d like to explore, email your resume to email@example.com. We will be looking over resumes on a first come, first serve basis.
Your email must include:
- "Coaching Salesperson" in the subject line.
- Your location and time zone.
- Something you are passionately nerdy about.
- Why you are perfect for this role.
- Any conflicts you have with putting up weekend and evening time blocks to potentially take calls.
Your resume should be a one page overview of your most relevant work experience and achievements that should indicate your success in this role at Nerd Fitness.
Due to the typical volume of applicants for our available roles at Nerd Fitness, please know that we cannot respond to everyone who sends in an application. If you make it to the second round of the application process, you will know with 5 days of receiving your application.
We look forward to reviewing your resume and cover letter!